Thursday, January 15, 2009

Band Geeks Unite or Momma's got her Proud Hat on!

I know I often complain or share little stores in an unflattering way about my kids but I am a proud mom. I am often left stunned by my children and their ability to succeed and shine in small or large moments. Last night, I watched my oldest daughter (Princess) playing a band concert exhibiting leadership, talent, and a little magnetism. I was in awe. Don't get me wrong she has been a child who often takes out her star for a polish but I often forget in the throws of the give and harass relationship we have that she is a blossoming adult.

My husband sat next to me in the same state of awe and we shared several moments of wonder especially when her Band Director took the time to recognize her as one of the best players and the glue that holds the band together. How many times does a person get public recognition? My sweet daughter blushed pretty and flashed her dimples at her hooting friends in the audience.

The moment of awe was not limited to just our child, we were equally inspired by the passion and talent of many players and their instructors. We have noted many these kids since well they were kids not the young blossoming adults we witnessed last night. For most of these kids its not just about practicing or sharing a love a music it is about taking on a leadership role and knowing how to allow others to shine. It is about generosity, expertise, inspiration, team building, and following through on a commitment that is not always fun.

Did you know that the top colleges and universities student population consists of 60% former (or current) band geeks? Originally, Princess decided to take band because the options in the curriculum was band or chorus. Band was the lesser of the two forms of torture. Her instrument choice was based on what was left over and had the most opportunity to wiggle in it. Princess needs a little wiggle room. Now she is in her 4 year of band and has embraced the band geek title. She has found friends, confidence, and in some cases moments of equalization. Princess is easily successful at almost everything she does but band has made her have to work.

So today, I am still walking around with the pride for my child's accomplishment and moment of acknowledgment. I am hoping that you will go tell some kid to join band. They will be surprised by how comfortable the title of band geek will feel on them. Finally, take a moment to send an email to your legislator and your school board trustees to remind them that without band geeks this world would not be filled with music.

4 comments:

  1. Such a lovely post.... 2 of my lads are in bands...... they are both drummers in punk bands that do all the local gig circuits lol.... I dont think you mean that sorta band....

    I have those very very proud moments with me lads, some with their musical talents at gigs and some on the sports field...... the only saddness I have with that is that Im the only one they have to be proud of them..... I would so love to share that proudness with someone else that felt the same...

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great to sit in the audience and watch a child perform. I stumbled upon your blog. I grew up in northern Idaho. You might get a kick out of some of the accounts of that life. http://myrtlebeachramblings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sparky, go to my blog. You'll know what to do then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a band geek and I came out okay I think!

    ReplyDelete